1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Kyyberi PLO Wednesday 17.1. at 20 CET -

25€ 5max sng HU J5o turn semibluff

Discussion in 'Hand analysis' started by Ghaleon, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

So minraised preflop and made pretty bad cbet on such drawy coordinated flop.

But then villain donk bets really small on turn. It could sometimes be some really nutty holding like 78, QJ, KTdd but I think most of time its going to be some sort of flush draw, 89, QT type of not so premium hand that tries to get cheap river. So I decided to raise to 1200 with idea to put pressure on that range.

Imo its good thing I dont have diamond, I block QJ and I have some nutty potential with my gutshot. Plus if villain shove I dont have any problem of folding this. Villain called turn and river came 5:club: which was great river. So villain checked and I went for shove with my blockers.

J5o.png

Tags:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Neo1186

Neo1186 Well-Known Member

Interesting hand.

First is cbet on that board really so bad? Even readless I would assume villain calling wide enough range to be folding enough to make cbet more profitable than check? Also interesting to note what the bounds here are between good cbet flop and bad, like K9s5s should be good enough for sure right?

Raising the donk is bold move in my view, but thinking about it, it does make sense with this type of hand. Also wondering what best and worst Rivers are for our bluff-shove in the end? So we like the backdoor flush because we block chance of him having it? And don't block main flush which doesn't come through. What do we do on blanks like 5 of hearts? Is A of heart good River to jam?

One alternative I could see is to call his small donk with plan to bluff if he checks River. Could be that if he is not a good player he will maybe not bluff often enough to make that move unprofitable, like he will bet all strong value and check-fold weak hands and missed draws on River if he is straightforward bad and we have positional advantage.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

On K95ss I would check pretty often for showdown value. Dont want to get raised. Well maybe its not bad cbet but bit questionable as flop offers so much in terms of gutshots etc.

I think bad rivers would be like pairing rivers, diamonds and some 8 or 7. On blank or A I would tend to shove as I have so much nutty hands on my range and as said most of time I dont assume villain to have those after turn line.

Call on turn would be ok as J will be out some portion of time as well. Problem in theory is that if I call turn I heavily cap my range. I would not be just calling on such board with two pairs or better outside of balancing my call range. Which I could do with some e.g. straight with flush draw but not really doing that versus most villains I run into here. Now I dont think balance is really that big of a deal as I would not assume most villains to be able to do much of range thinking to be honest.

• Thanks Thanks x 1