1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

50€ 5max sng A2o river 3bet value or not?

Discussion in 'Hand analysis' started by Ghaleon, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

Have some information that villain is somewhat fishy. I remembered he had done some fishy plays but didnt remember what exactly anymore :)

So this was one of first hands in game. Villain raised small and I defended crappy A. Flop was check-call for showdown value and draws I had. There is some merit in check-raising as well and using flush blocker but that is line I dont love versus someone I assume fishy as its hard to get e.g. Jx or even some weaker hands to fold even with raising flop and barreling turn and river. Also there is possibility that opponent go crazy with some KJ+, QQ+, etc. and aims to stack off flop. So dont necessarily want to lead myself into spot to play for stacks on flop with SPR of 13 or so.

Turn goes checked. In river I went for 3/4 pot that could still be called with pretty wide range and it did look like villain range is often QQ or weaker. So then villain raises and as default this is just call for me. But because I thought villain is fishy there is some merit in shove also. I do block nut flush which in general is most likely one as slowplayed flush. Problem is that is villain fishy enough to stack off some 55 or some weird two pairs. Also he might occasionally have some 76.

Probably just call but would someone try for thin value?

A2o.png

Tags:
  2. seanster

seanster Member

It's a tough one. There's plenty of bluffs in his range and and some 2 pairs and sets, plus you could be bluffing plenty as well.. Blocking the nut flush won't be enough to fold out any flushes though I would think with a shove.
    Would he have had to make a bet on the river if he had a hand you couldn't beat? Would he think you'd call with a J vs a small bet?
    I think call.
    BTW - are you doing some more coaching videos again soon?

3. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

Sure he wont be folding any flush versus shove and there is no need to bluff with straight. But yeah shoving for value versus some occasional set and such is likely too thin. Villain had KK here.

Not sure if I will be doing weekly coaching anymore. Of course private coaching is still open as usual and public one as well.

4. reepo

reepo Active Member

I think if you have a read that he is extremely fishy, river shove is mandatory when im thinking this hand threw.

Im assuming he has position here btw from what i can make out.

Flop call is pretty standard given what you said, i do think C/R on flop can be decent aswell though given how much equity we have here drawing to the nuts+our additional gutshot.

I would say there is almost no way he has a flush when the turn goes check check here. Only flush checking turn in villians shoes would be the A high one which we block, i think most players just go bet bet bet here with all flushes, he can still get value from worse and your draws. I don't think fishy guys are really going to start getting tricky to "balance there range" in a spot like this, they are just going to pile chips in.

I think fishy players over estimate the strenghth of 2 pair and sets on boards like this and through experience this is something that is just always happening.

Only exeption to me not shoving river here would be if it was some nitty/bad reg making this river raise i'd probably fold honestly, especially guys on stars they just have it 99.99% of the time.