1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

A Happy Fighter Is a Dangerous Fighter

Discussion in 'Blogs and projects' started by TheChampion, Jan 9, 2017.

1. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

The Day Before Dawn

Cellist Jacqueline Du Pre was a prodigy from an early age.

At age six, she was running, cello over her head, down the performance hall where she was one of the performers that day.

She was smiling and laughing and running.

A janitor, figuring she must have just performed and was relieved and happy at how she did said, "You must have just performed. Congratulations!"

And she said, "I didn't perform. I'm about to!"

She became one of the greatest cellists ever.

When was the last time that we ran TO something? Something other than TV and donuts. Something that was uncertain, unknown, risky and SCARY!

I've found this forum by chance through Kyyberi, I'm glad I did.

This will be no more and no less than one man's story. Story of success that is.

My name is Maks, but you can call me champ as well.

I'm 20 year old presumptuous lad and avid student of life who'll try to tame this game called THE GREAT GAME OF POT LIMIT OMAHA. - starting at the very bottom(crying emoji)

I will share more of my life and background as the time passes, and you'll see that in truth I'm really not as big of a dick as it might seem.

But all I wish for now is to use this forum for keeping my thoughts straight and head sharp, daily.

So here's to the process...

My weekly productivity chart:
    [​IMG]

The Warfare Is In Your Mind aka the smallest things show the bigger picture:

Stand up enough and stand tall like a man.

Sit straight, talk straight. Be mindful before talking, say exactly what you mean w/o BS or explanations, cut down the average of 2500 words that people jibber daily, with it also cut down the variety of thoughts that might come up and laser focus.

Keep an eye contact with everyone for 3sec.

No TV. No processed foods. No jerking off/jerking around.

Implement immediately.

Be mindful of emotions, daydreaming and impulses.

Listen to podcasts while driving.

When in school, no goofing around and chit chatting, either work for school or poker - checking hand histories people post for PLO on 2+2/pokerstrategy/slo pokerpro/bpc forums

Morning Routine:

21:30 Preparation for bed / 7h sleep

05:00 Wake up – 20min getting up/getting dressed/drinking water/freshing up

Go over the todo list, affirmations and possible distractions

HH memorizing

Foam rolling/warming up/stretching/pushups or a walk

Cold shower

Meditation or Wim Hof or Hour of power

(Breakfast)

08:00 Go to school

Everyday after school get grounded again: go over the todo list/distractions/affirmations/meditate or listen to the hour of power/move and stretch/possibly cold shower

Fitness goals short term:

• 25 pullups(20 anytime on a thick bar) + 10 10 10 challenge *Current state: 18 correct form pullups on a thick bar
    • 3 full motion ab wheel reps *Current state: 0 full motion reps
    • 100 pushups *Current state: 60 correct form pushups
    • 50 dips *Current state: unknown

On the non program days I will do cardio+stretching or the ab wheel work.

So much for now.

Tags:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Champion Champion x 1
  2. Warp

Warp Active Member

18 correct form pullups already? Take it easy!
    So, where is the time for women? Since no jerking and stuff?

I agree you get a whole lot more done with a todo list and focussing on that list several times per day. Seems promising. Post progress!

3. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Okay so it's that time of the day when energy drops and brain fog steps in so I will use this time to work on theory and play in the evening.

Basically I need to learn so so much so I don't want it to get overwhelming so for now I will be posting whatever I will be ineterested in the most or feel like it's a leak that can get fixed quickly or something similar, so one of the areas that I will probably need to work quite a lot on is double barreling so here's a hand I'd like to hear your opinion on:

$0.02/$0.01 Omaha
    3 Players
    Stacks:
    SB Hero ($2.45) - unknown(first hand)
    BB ($0.78)
    Pre-Flop: (0.03, 3 players) Hero is SB Q:heart: 9:spade: Q:spade: A:club:

BTN folds, BB calls $0.01, Hero raises to $0.06, BB calls $0.06

Flop: A:heart: 8:spade: J:heart: ($0.14, 2 players) - SPR 4.375
    BB checks, Hero bets $0.10, BB calls $0.10
    Turn: K:club: ($0.34, 2)
    BB checks, Hero?

Now, slow down.

For this speciffic hand I was already briefly chatting with plo100 reg and the answer was simple; Cb flop and pot allin turn unless on a flush or a 7. His range OTT after calling Cb is probably J8, KJ, K8, AK, FD, OESD+, TP, J***+gutter, QT+something some of the time. Since SPR is a bit above 4 we should use a bit bigger sizing on the flop and that's it, if raised OTF we fold. It's basically pretty straight forward.

Now I have a few more questions considering we tweak some things like for example what to do if villain was deepstacked in this spot?

Villains range after calling CB: OESD+, FD, J***+gutter, 2p(-AJ), possibly 88, TP, QT+something some of the time. Since we block the nuts and there are some hands we get value from and some hands that fold which have equity against us I think it's a double barrel. Now what sizing to use?

At first I thought we should use standard 2/3 sizing because we kind of want OESD, weak FD, gutter+TP to call but a friend pointed out that we actually want that to fold so we should bet pot, then probably also J8 folds. This seems reasonable to me. In any case, at first though my plan was NOT to 3-bar in any case.

Although NOW I'm thinking we should triple it for example on flush completing. Although we have some showdown eq. vs busted draws, 2p combos will fold. On any other card non flush I'd check back.

Keep in mind that this is wild west PLO2 where even if str8 draw complets OTR villain is not folding decent 2p if FD didn't get there for example. Not to mention that board pairing means nothing to them when they already invested two streets.

SO IN CONCLUSION: IF DEEPSTACKED HU IP
    1. What sizing to use OTT? 2/3 or pot
    2. Do we triple barrel ever? If so when?

4. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Hey man, nice from you to pop in.

AH don't be silly, 18 is nothing. With training you get there pretty fast. I got from 13 to 18 in two months of the armstrong pullup program I think, so if you struggle with it try it out. And I still feel reaaally weak btw since if we consider what our bodies can do, this is rock bottom.

Regarding women it's a challenging topic and one I was learning about and thinking about a lot in last two years and didn't figure out yet totally, pretty close though. I might write more about it when I have time some day but for now basically I have a gf. For a bit over a year.

I see her three days/week when she comes to my apartment and stays here. It's all good like we have fun and keeps me company and cooks for me, massages me etc. so I got everything covered in that area but she also needs decent amount of attention which ofc in this time I will not be able to give her so my plan is just to stay selfish in that area and do my thing while still try make her at least somewhat happy on occasion, if she follows great if not, well... I simply really want to make it at this moment, in fitness, in poker, regarding mental challenges, etc. Time for girls will wait for me I believe.

5. Kyyberi

Kyyberi Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Poker Coach Moderator

You get a lot more attention to hands if you post them to hand analyzing section.

On the turn you need to decide if you barrell turn and blank river or you check and see if you can go to showdown (or fold if opponent bets big). Triple barrel bluff has there just one problem: it's PLO2. When opponent calls you down with J8 it feels kinda stupid idea. :D

6. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Okay, will post in that section next time.

That's a totally different point of view, but I don't get it though.

You say XB and go to showdown, like hands that we beat he will turn into bluff and hands that beat us will let us see showdown so I don't see we ever get to showdown as winners here I imagine check back is giving up with really low chance of winning.

Also I don't get it why we need to 3bar if we 2bar. He can have many worse FD and SD that call OTT and we can XB river and win versus them. While on flush completing I said we could barrel because then they do fold 2p and SD.

So can you explain what you meant a bit more?

7. Kyyberi

I don't quite understand what you are saying, XB confuses me. :) Is it check-back?

I remembered that you are oop so opponent could bet turn if you check. My bad. In position if you check back the turn, opponent probably thinks you don't have a straight and might bluff blank rivers. Then again it's PLO2 and majority of opponents don't think in that way. If you bet turn and opponent calls, then he doesn't have the straight but he has something. There are no straight draws that should call the turn (unless he is bad and calls with T9) so his range is 2 pairs, sets and flush draws. On the river you win against missed draws (as you would win when you bet) and you should be able to make him fold his 2pairs+ quite often.

8. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

+ I noticed the HH is wrong: SB is VILLAIN / BB = HERO
    Another note: What do you think of checking back flop? Board is connected so we can expect many calls and we don't have much redraws and we want to pot control also and we can get some more info on villains hand OTT if checks we can DCB if bets small we can bluff catch etc.

9. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Yeah sorry about the hand history, my bad. I guess we posted at the same time also so didn't see your answer before.

Yes I think since he limped pre AA and KK probably is not in his range and JJ probably raises OTF so 88 is the only possible set and many 2p combos, and OESD probably folds OTT yes so considering that if we bet, 2p/busted FD will fold so we can barrel often yes. This was the thing that interested me the most. Although now not sure whether XB flop might be better.

10. Kyyberi

You give a little too much credit for unknown PLO2 recreational (as he isn't playing with 100bb stack). If he is a decent player and with full stack, the problem with checking back is that you cap your range. Of course you have top pair and gutshot, so if he bets the turn you can call. But that leads then to a tough river situation.

Not saying checking back would be bad because it leads into tougher turn and river situations. I am trying to say that if you check back, you should have a plan for different runouts. Checking back without a plan often leads to mistakes. If you are not sure if checking back or cbetting is better, then in HU pots you should cbet. Or as I like to say, "If you don't have a good reason to check back, then cbet".

11. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

@Thanks Kyyberi for discussion, point taken.

Journal Entry #1

Fitness:
    Started doing pushups warmed up in the morning but quickly I felt some weird pain in my arm so only did 43 the first set and 8 the next one, then decided to stop. It probably comes from yesterday when I did 60 correct form and almost died there, I could maybe do two more but then I couldn't do anything today so yeah basically we'll see how tomorrow goes and if pain comes again, maybe I'll rest one day and take a walk instead and continue the day after tmrw so that the arm can rest one day.
    After school did a nice stretching and jogged to the street workout park and did day 1 pullups which means 5 sets of max pullups 1min inbetween. Did 18 7 6 6 5 which again was less than what I was used doing but hey it's th first day I'll get there.

Books to read in the future:
    Meditations by Marcus Aurelius / The obstacle is the way by Ryan Holiday / The art of learning by Joshua Waitzkin / The one thing by Gary W. Keller, Jay Papasan / The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur by Mike Michalowicz / The 4 Agreements by Miguel Ruiz / Peak Performance Poker: Revolutionizing the Way You View the Game by Travis Steffen / Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Life:
    Woke up at 5.45. Was probably sleeping so deep that didn't hear the alarm clock so missed the target there but no problem since it's the first day and I'm getting used to it still. + at least I slept for 6h. Did the routine, cold shower was easy, getting up was easy since probably the clock rang when I finished the rem cycle, did meditate and do pushups etc. In school was present and also checked out some hands. I wasn't mindful enough of what I'm saying but I noticed how much unnecessary stuff I actually say so now I'm only gonna talk if someone asks me something or if I need anything. After school we had a nice lunch with school mates since I had to pay someone lunch in return for some favour so ofc we talked unimportant stuff for 1h but it was fun so no regrets there. After coming some everything good as well, managed to get into mode quickly and didn't daydream at all or bit nails or anything like that. I had to cook today which took me 1h so I guess I should really appreciate my gf more for cooking for me. I didn't waste any time but didn't track it so need to do that tmrw. And ate healthy which was really good. And read the radical acceptance. Oh and when there's no school in the morning I will not be getting up at 5am simply because 8am is still good if we go to sleep at like 2am. Besides that there's poker.

Poker:
    Boy oh boy is there a long road ahead of me. I played 2x1h session altogether around 400 hands. I did a warmup before playing and also did some equity matchups which I might talk about in next days cuz I don't get something. Besides that worked on theory satisfactory amount. I didn't watch the video I wanted nor did the last session hand review or HH memorizing simply because I ran out of time, but that's not a problem, over time I will figure out how to get more done. The main thing is I NEED TO WORK SMARTER AND MORE FOCUSED AND SIMPLY MORE. This is gonna be a tough road I feel, there's so much to learn. Like today I realized I know nothing about PLO. I thought I was strating to get some idea of what ok and what not but not really. Infinite amount of spots to learn. So basically the last session I played today which was after realizing what I meantioned before was the worst session up to this point. I was just clicking buttons. So I revised my approach and tmrw I'm starting from the scratch. PREFLOP studying. PLAYING 2 tables. Constantly reminding myself what variables to pay attention to and which spots not to mess up. Review every hand I wasn't sure of. Need to be as focused as possible so that asap I get an idea of what is going on in this game. Will make a more speciffic plan tmrw but mainly I want to watch all the Kyyber's vids and figure out all the preflop stuff where I leak, only then go further. My place here for the next month is to learn, not to have money or volume in mind, that will come when I'm ready.

Our actions may be impeded…but there can be no impeding our intentions or dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

-Marcus Aurelius

12. Warp

Warp Active Member

Do you have a checklist? It's probably a long one and you need a list for every street, or rather a decision tree.
    I would be interested in compiling that.

13. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Yes I do have it. It is not nearly finished and also I'm not using it or understand it nearly as much as I'd like so this will definitely be my main in game focus besides off table work.

PREFLOP:(kind of divided into three sections)

Hand details

Villains stack size
    Villains open %(for speciffic positon)
    Villains FCB
    Villains open sizing

Players behind tendencies(3b, vp/pfr) and stack sizes
    Position/Relative position
    Number of players

-->>One trick I'd like to start doing with this is to guess when I raise over limp or 3b how many players will join along since on micros many times they cold call and it's a problem for non nutty hands so to get a better feel for that this guessing and then getting feedback might be good for my game evaluation

FLOP:

What is the SPR?
    Does it sucks if I get XR?
    How likely will I get XR?
    What to do on the turn?
    (position, # of players, villains FCB is self explanatory)

TURN:

Do better hands fold?
    Do worse hands call?
    Do hands with 30-40% equity fold?
    If we check will villain bet only good hands or stabs as well?
    What to do on the river?
    (what is the SPR, does it suck to get XR and how likely is it, villains FCB turn is again something that I cover to at least some extent so don't need to consciously think about)

When I'm doing HH review afterwards I take this into account and like 50%+ of the time I get the answer which I was looking for in game it's just that in game I don't have time to really think of all this.

RIVER:

Many decisions on the river I already decied on the turn but mostly it's all about which combos he might and might not have.

For now things like what am I representing, which sizing to use, how many times must I win if I shove/fold here, where is this hand in the spectrum of hands that I have here, my image, ... is just not necessary and way too advanced so firtsly need to get this bare fundamentals down so that I look at it and consider it all the time without much thinking. After I manage that I will be trouble at the tables. But it's hard because like I look at the spr and I think of all the possible combos villain might have like are sets in his range? all of them? what about 2p? Draws? Which ones? Would he really play this draw/2p this way? like sometimes in game I think ok he can have 2 pairs/bluffs but then figure out that there's only few 2p or bluff combos he might have or such so time flies quickly and it's hard to process it all for me, we'll see how it all works out.

14. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Journal Entry #2

Fitness:
    Did pushups 51 26 23 with 4min rest inbetween. My arms were still somehow very tired, probably because my form was really good and 50 pushups with good form and 50 pushups with great form matter a lot. So after that went to school and my whole back started to hurt which always happens when muscles are exhausted so today didn't do pullups, will do them tmrw and skip the pushups. It's just a winter period where body slows down naturally a bit I believe so no worries soon enough I'll be back into the rhytm + by the summer I'll be killing it.

Paulo Coelho - Alchemist
    The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
    Eat that frog- Brian Tracy
    Think and grow rich - Napoleon Hill

Life:
    Alarm went off 8.45 but while I woke up I immediately fell asleep again and slept 1h longer so 8h altogether which happened the second time now so tmrw 5am sharp like no more idiotism. After that I didn't have the speciffic morning routine except for pushups because I didn't have to go to school and really wanted to work on my game. So I was just working on three betting theory, then ate, played for 1h and went to school. Afterwards again I just wanted to finish the work on three betting since I found some leaks and got to understand the mechanics behind it better. I watched Kyyber's video on 3betting and then compare his advice with John's from PLOqucikpro and then compare that to PLO from scratch so I got three views, three explanations and decent amount of examples and understanding, now I need to try it out on speciall hand histories and in practice. I didn't read any book today, maybe I might read some radical acceptance before sleep. I listened to two very good podcasts, will listen to them again tmrw to retain more info and I'll write about it. I ate very healthy and fasted so this is gonna get me shredded. I didn't meditate since I usually do it before play but didn't today although I did it twice yesterday I should have still done it today at least after I went from school to gather my thougts. But no biggie since I was going through what I need to have in mind often so was all good. Also won't do cold shower since no time or point. One thing that should be done but won't be is stretching, usually I do it after pullups. Ok so from tmrw on out for the next 2 week exam period is starting so less time will be commited to poker, I need to figure out how much and what I'll be able to do for poker. But then I'll have 3 weeks off basically. So tmrw I need to figure out a studying plan for school and poker. One thing that I will work on since it's just sick is just to stop fucking talking. Like I say things without even minding it, even though if I'm decently present when I'm not talking. So this is one area I will improve. Along with it also need to go over affirmations more in the morning evening afternoon and basically all the time. Puts me in the zone really. And I will start writing this journal standing up.

Poker:
    I'm getting better. Like today this theory work helped me find some leaks and gave me confidence. Also have in mind a plan on how and what to work on which before was a bit faded. The mental game podcast I listened today to helped me a lot too in this aspect because confirmed what I was thinking about. I will focus on one spot until I get good at it and that is 3betting for now, I will also focus on the in game mindfulnes and paying attention more. How? I will have alarms set up to go off after 20 and then after 10 minutes to check on myself how mindful I am. I will only 2 table. Follow showdowns. Talk out loud and record every session. I will come in prepared with meditation, visulaiting, going over checkilst etc. This will skyrocket my roi, confidance and knowledge since I'll be thinking more about the game. I have a good feeling. And I'll mark and review every hand I don't know. I will push for 10 more min after I'll realize focus is droping to get mental muscle stronger. And I will know to say a few things where my money is coming from about every player. I will not mind about the money, first you learn then you earn. Lets goooo

Plan tmrw morning:
    -05:00 Wake up – 20min getting up/getting dressed/drinking water/freshing up
    -Go over the todo list, affirmations and possible distractions/make poker and school plans
    -Post the stuff you'd need to post today already like HH or equity matchups or do some 3b examples or such - will know more after doing the todo list
    -Foam rolling/warming up/going for a walk/stretching
    -Cold shower
    -Meditation
    (Breakfast)
    -08:00 Go to school

#14 TheChampion, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  15. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Here's a had I was going to post in the hand analysis forum but I figured it out on my own:

SB: 25 BB - aggrotard/wide 3betting/wide stacking off
    BB: 233 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
    Hero (BTN): 212 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:diamond: 9:diamond: A:spade: T:spade:

Hero raises to 3.5 BB, SB raises to 11.5 BB, BB calls 10.5 BB, Hero?

Do we 4b despite being 210bb deep?

If we 4b SPR OTF would be 1.7. 3bettor is wide, and cold caller is probably wide as well so 100bb deep I would 4b but even that I'm not sure if good or not?

We have good position and relative position so why take it away by lowering the spr?
    Our hand looks strong but KQJ would be much better than JT9 and cold caller could have exactly this kind of high cards like KQJ that I flip with:

AKQ3$ss|49.10%
    AJT9$ds|50.90%

KQJ3$ds|43.72%
    AJT9$ds|56.28%

Not tbh I think I should have 4b that despite it all since we're against fish and want to build a big pot with probably the best hand but I am not confident yet playing 200bb deep so I got spooked a bit but just in case to be sure for the next time what is correct I'd like to hear your opinion, if nothing else so that if I get coolered I know for sure my play was good.

Surprise:

AKQJ$ds|57.99%
    AJT9$ds|42.01%

KK65$ds|51.77%
    AJT9$ds|48.23%

PJ FI 12%|51.38%
    AJT9$ds|48.62%

10%|53.59%
    AJT9$ds|46.41%

Thought this hands would have more equity, so I guess we definitelly can't get crushed and that parania was unneeded. SO despite good position we don't mind the lower spr with a hand this good since villain is probably a lot wider than this.

16. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Journal Entry #3

Fitness:
    As planned didn't do pushups but did pullups day 2 which is pyramid day and I managed 0-10 5 5 . I ran to the park and back as usual. Tomorrow I will do pullups for sure, pushups probably as well.

Life:
    So so so ... a long day has been. Woke up at 4.40 on my own, probably because I was visualizing before sleep that I need to wake up at 5am so that was easy. Had a very nice routine. Cold shower, foam rolling and stretching, finished some of the theory stuff and went to school prepared. We had many hours at school today so it was draining but tried to not give away too much energy while still being efficient. I reviews many hands people post on forums and during 1h break I was working on my session review in pt4 and ate healthy. Right after school went to the workout park and after that had weekly 1h group coaching. While driving back I almost fell asleep which happened the 3rd time in my life now out of nowhere, I mean I was sleepy but didn't think I can just be gone for 2sec so need to figure this shit out and at first signs do something to wake up. I was intensly listening to podcasts and learned many things, some of which might share. After coaching was planning to work on theory and go to bed but had this desire to better my impresion of the last time when playing so I ended up meditating and then playing for 1h. Now we here. Obv I should be sleeping right now but will make up for it tmrw, simply want to do this. Now actually I will stop here. When I have time and I'm rested I will write about the bpc, podcast, mental stuff from today and basically why actually today was hard and why it was so great in a way so gonna write about it tmrw.

One thing to remember: being present leads to no daydreaming->no talking->deep focus

Poker:
    -figure out this pt4 stuff for reviewing speciffic villains SD hands tmrw!
    -know a few things about every guy at the table
    -don't stop talking
    -visualize
    -main thought process: what is in his range? how did the hand go from the start? remember the off table work for speciffic spots and don't look at the time pressure AKA be prepared when tough spots come up-sit straight, be reminding yourself of the important stuff and ready to access info in the back of your mind when needed
    -remember that right now it's time to learn and money insn't relevant

Overall the truth is that my game sucks and I need lot of work so this in game focus will not help much unless I put the time in off tables but never the less I want to get this range thinking and focus a part of the improvment.

(I played okayish today, better than the last 3 days which were, like I forgot to mention it but I did a review in school of those 3 days it SICK how bad my true Cgame is loooooool not only that I might spazz to much in some spots like normal guys I also overfold in other spots then and make the situation twice as bad, will write more about it tmrw cuz this is just out of this world. I do not know where I'm getting confidence lol because what I was doing at the tables in last days was worse than many fish ok anyways I'm gonna continue 3 tables and focusing on stuff written above and with off table work i have this)

This two songs are beautiful to me, especially now before sleep, it reminds me why I'm working. So good night, tmrw another battle, prob gonna be up at 6:30 so cca 6h sleep.

17. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

EQUITY MATCHUPS

In BPC they recommend doing 10 equity matchups/day by our choice so that we get familiar with the percentage a bit more and if I try to translate this to theory concepts I feel it helps my game for better understanding so here they are:

The better of the playability group hands:

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    QsJcTd8s, Tc9s8c7s, JsTc9d8s, KsQdTc8s 47.22%
    40% 52.78%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    QsJcTd8s, Tc9s8c7s, JsTc9d8s, KsQdTc8s 43.50%
    20% 56.50%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    KQ96$ds, QJ87$ds, KQT6$ss 48.05%
    40% 51.95%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    KQ96$ds, QJ87$ds, KQT6$ss 43.83%
    20% 56.17%

The point is with this hands we'll never be favourite preflop so we need to rely on either fold equity or dominating villains stack off ranges and so it's obvious that as soon as we get 3way our
    fold equity is diminished and our pot equity goes down(because of more chance of someone having dominating hands).

Premium

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AhAc6d5h, AhQhKdJs, KcQdJcTd, KcQcKdQs, AKQ8$ds 51.82%
    20% 48.18%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AAJT$ss, ABBB$ds, KQJT$ds, ABB9$ds, KKQQ$ds 53.30%
    20% 46.70%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AAJT$ss, ABBB$ds, KQJT$ds, ABB9$ds, KKQQ$ds 56.51%
    40% 43.49%

Example why the more players the better hand we need because even already versus one guy with the best hands in PLO if he's tight we don't push much equity edge, now sure we dominate postflop
    ranges and this really are good hands that should only be calls if we're against 4 people otherwise squeez but just to get an idea so that you're not dissapointed when you go allin preflop and lose.
    PLO is just not a preflop game and going allin with a nut hand preflop should not be our goal really unless with AA ofc.

Aces

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AhAd9c6c63.40%
    10% 36.60%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AhAc9d6c64.94%
    10% 35.06%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AhAc7d6c65.23%
    10% 34.77%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AhKcKsTs55.73%
    10% 44.27%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AdAh8c2s60.70%
    10% 39.30%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AA28$ss 28.32%
    JT97$ss 26.44%
    KQ96$ds 24.16%
    6654$ss 21.08%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AATJ$ss 35.27%
    JT97$ss 17.92%
    KQ96$ds 23.03%
    6654$ss 23.79%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AKKJ$ss 31.44%
    JT97$ss 23.58%
    KQ96$ds 18.67%
    6654$ss 26.31%

And don't forget, AJT9ds/ss even versus the stronges ranges you're flipping or 60/40 like posted a few posts earlier.

Double paired

If you have aggro guy at the table do not overplay this seemingly strong hands preflop basically QQJJ$ds or KKQQss is where you're not flipping/gambling anymore. With QQJJss or JJTT be prepared that preflop
    alling might not be in your favour.

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    JJTT$ss 55.86%
    40% 44.14%
    Notes/Warnings

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    JJTT$ss 50.07%
    20% 49.93%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    JJQQ$ss 58.32%
    40% 41.68%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    JJQQ$ss 52.76%
    20% 47.24%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    JJQQ$ds 55.86%
    20% 44.14%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    KKQQ$ss 57.78%
    20% 42.22%

Remember not to be dissapointed when going allin pre with seemingly good hands like ABBBss or even the best fo the best like AA65ds and losing since it's just 60/40 or a flip. And next time when you're pumping
    money in preflop with good hands do not feel entitled to win or attracted to the hand because once flop is open your preflop equity is gone, your pumping money in pre to dominate their ranges postflop not
    because it's a good hand preflop! I'm gonna write this again it's just so important. When you have a good hand preflop and possibly it's a multiway pot you're 3betting because of the preflop equity but
    because of the domination on the flop where preflop equity doesn't matter so if you miss the flop get the fck out of there.

Suited ace

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AsKcQd3s47.89%
    20% 52.11%

Omaha Hi Simulation

Hand Equity
    AK76$ds 50.68%
    20% 49.32%

Villain needs to 3b 30% for this to be a 4b. So someone with 20% 3b we could as well 4b COvBTN.

18. Kyyberi

How did you come up that opponent needs to 3b 30% for us to 4bet AK76ds (if I understood that right)?

19. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Then we push 52% equity at least. Are you trying to say that 20% would be enough already or something else? .. and of course this must be over relevant sample

20. Kyyberi

The thing is that you don't get it all-in. Opponent can see the flop and decide if he wants to get it in or not. You kinda have to get it in on most flops. Did you use PPT ranges or PokerJuice ranges? As PPT ranges for 3betting (as it uses mostly raw equity) is flawed. Most players don't 3bet a lot of KK or QQ hands, which are in top% in PPT ranges. Against 15% 3bet ip range that AK76ds is 52% favorite. But if you start to calculate the EV after you have to play the flop too, it becomes probably -EV.

And if opponent has smaller stack so that we can shove with 4bet, then we don't need 52% equity as there is some money in the pot and we can make +EV shove with even less than 50% equity.

• Useful Useful x 1
  21. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Interesting points, something I haven't studied yet so thanks for bringing it up. Basically on my stakes either one of two scenarios happens: 30bb-50bb deep villain is on tilt 3betting a lot or 100bb+ agro fish comes and 3bets a ton.

And yeah you're right! so let's say 40bb deep villain BTN 3b pot to 12bb vs our CO 3.5bb open we can 4b to 37.5 so basically put him allin(few BBs left that he shoves) and risking 36.5 to win 81.5 = 44.7%, nice! thank you, so if villain is 80bb deep and calls our 4b spr will be 0.5 which is still very low so I'd guess up to 70bb 4betting is okay without the worries of him picking flops.

About 100bb+ deep aggro villain yeah didn't think of that really, usually the spr after the 4b will be 1 or 1.5 so he could pick flops although we can XB IP some of the time but OOP need to cb a lot yes so I see what you mean. frankly I didn't have much of this spots yet and when I did I probably hit something since I can't remember ever having trouble with it but good point although in game I'm not sure if I could just call because if we're in position it's okay right since we can XB while when OOP it sucks to cb more but it's also good to lower the spr since we're OOP?

22. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Our perspective creates our reality

I'm going to write about a few interesting things that I've been thinking about in the last two days which are based on three very good podcasts. One was MGOP with Cal Newport, the other was from The Science of Success ep. #4 and another from James Altucher's podcast about persuation.

We have a limited beam of attention because otherwise we wouldn't be able to function since in every second there is infinite amount of data.
    That's why what's in the spotlight of attention gets recorded and everything else doesn't-look at the gorilla experiment. So this means what we actually get into our brain is just one piece of the whole picture ie. reality(infinity).
    So we take this little piece as reality but the truth is that this is just a rough idea, a sketch of what reality might be.
    So what we know, what we think we know, what we percieve as real, is just one PERSPECTIVE, one possible piece of the reality. - like the obvious example where someone cuts you off and you're angry about how rude he was when in reality he was rushing to the hospital

So the first problem of understanding reality is that we have a limited beam of attention and that our perspective dictates in what kind of reality we're in.

The second problem with the perception of the reality is that our minds destort the reality because of the cognitive biases so even that tiny drop of reality/infinity that we took in might be and mostly is changed.
    This comes as a natural evolutionary process so that we could have survived since we needed to focus on stuff that we thought mattered and not on every unimportant thing. And even if you think that you could take in all the information
    given it's one of the most disturbing thoughts I had lately. Saying out of this planet is an understatment by much.

So what are congnitive biases and how they distort the reality?

1. Our minds generalize/order and put things in buckets so one thing that happened could be placed in one bucket while the reality is totally different, again comes with evolution since we needed it to quickly asses the risk - one obvious example is how we are capable of forming an opinion on someone in one second

2. Every time our memory is reconstructed/brought back is a bit different from what really happened like the telephone game that we played in kindergarden so basically our memories are rough sketches of other rough sketches of reality
    -this happens to me many times when in school I'm thinking of how some hand played out last evening and then analize it only to come home and realize that some cards were different which totally changes the situation while in school I would bet my life on that the hand was as I thought

3. Our minds align reality with our wants and beliefs

And many more. (there could be no separation between imagination and reality)

So we can change reality by changing perspective, or the filter that orders data, or by changing belifs or by remembering new stuff or by changing our needs etc.

Three mindblowing things:

Most of our believes are subconscious and we are not aware of them since they are with us since the early age and there's nothing we can do about it, we don't even know we have them and will never know let alone understand them.

We will never be able to comprehed reality as it is, we might just gather more pieces/perspectives

A new idea can be implented into someones mind - similar to what hypnosis really is, is to make someone believe that they came up with it on their own. How is that possible? By pacing, then leading. Basically you get the subject into a state where he's so emphatic with you meaning you get to his pace so well that when you speak he fells he is you and that he is speaking. Now the person is counscious to some extent so he can be aware and say wtf why is my hand in the air I didn't move it etc. but yeah very interesting and something to learn more about, just like you can pace someone in a meeting first start off by following every move he makes for example changing seat position like he does, touching the body like he does, eventually you'll pace him and then if you change posture or scratch your head he will do it too and if you asked him why he did it he would say oh it didn't feel comfortable anymore or I had something here

Distractions

When you're working on something and you're distracted by skype or email you say it sucks but it's important so need to reply or check so we compensate for the lack of focus with doing something important but even though it's important to reply it is bad to be distracted but let's not focus on what's bad with distraction but focus on what's better without the distraction and the answer is deep work. <-Cal's words

Deep work is unknown, underrated, like when the first athlets started working with NO2 measurments and along with it the belief that focus is predetermined. +Distraction can be addctive in many forms one is adiction to nowelty and arousal the other one is addiction to it to cover deep unwanted feelings, etc.

People separate work and life too much. If you stand in line you think ok so checking FB is not a problem I have nothing to do anyways but it's not true it's just like an athlete saying I might as well have a joint or get wasted since I'm not training tomorrow morning.

If you are constantly in a state of arousal and distraction when the moment for deep work will come your mind will not be used to is since it won't be calibrated!

I realized how draining it is to constantly think. I meditate so I thought I'm pretty calm minded person but after a long time I tried to not think like anythign and it's so hard but when you manage to do it for few seconds youu realize how much noise we have in our heads and how draining that is.

So after work we need downtime, to be present, to be empty again, brains must rest like muscles and you need a cooldown routine and that is not a TV or even meditation I see now, basically few mins of total emptiness.

Many times my minded burned out while thinking about a hand but now I realize it's normal and many times I was burned out because of no cooldown routine.

In simple terms nevrons are fired everytime you think about something so even if you just read thank you on skype while playing poker a bunch of new one nevrons will be fired which will for 10-15min litmit the nevrons for the deep work for poker so when doing deep work ie. isolating neurons for one task neurons will be strengthened a lot more since they will be isolated.

Whatever you're doing, monitor your interaction with that thing, person, material, are you listening/watching or interacting? do you have follow up questions, do you see how it applies to you life, how's your retention and comprehension?

We are in a psychologically obese age and not many people know how to adjust.

23. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Journal Entry #4

Fitness:

Did Day3 pullups after school so 9x6 reps with 1min rest. In the evening did recovery pushups 34 33 33.
    Today I feel really sore, mostly because I didn't sleep well and so my neck hurts and I'm all kind of down. Also probably because of running yesterday my knee started to hurt a bit every so often, not really bothering but another small thing, we'll see if continues today. I guess it's normal due to lack of sleep and winter time etc.

Life:
    So since I went to bed pretty late at 2am I had alarm at 6.30 but didn't hear it and woke up at 7 by myself. I know why I don't hear it now. Because often before sleep I listen to meditation on sleeping from headspace and then the alarm rings through my headphones which aren't on my head anymore in the morning so I guess won't be listening to it anymore or something. So basically slept 5h and didn't have time for morning routine. Went to school. ate and when I got home I was finishing work on 3b pots. I think I get it now a lot better, we'll see in practice. Then I did those equity matchups, workout park and cold shower. I cleaned the house, meditated and played for 45min. Then some birocracy for school and then my parents and gf came since it's friday. I basically live in my moms apartment nearby the sea in Croatia(originaly I'm from Slovenia) but I study here and over the weekends often my mom and her partner come here and also bring my gf along because the weather is a lot better. Here it's like 5-10 degrees celsius while there is -15 to -5.
    So I hung out with them for bit and ate again which I normally wouldn't but it's okay as long as it's healthy it's good. Then I wrote the previous post and hit the bed at 2. I woke up at 9 today so 7h sleep but stayed in bed for 30min hybernating feeling tired.

Poker:
    Like I said 3bet pots we'll see now how I've improved. And I played a really good session, so I felt relieved a bit since last session weren't brilliant. As I wrote about that bad session I had on tuesday I realized I was just surprised that my Cgame could be so bad, and was scared that would happen again and discouraged that I couldn't bring my Cgame up in all this time but it's really not like that I mean it could be but it's not. That Cgame I had basically shows my uncounscious competence level which is pretty low so I need to stay sharp and train to get it up, no shame in that, that actually also means that others game can be this bad too, and if I think back to nlhe this game was way more often than it happens now so definitelly improvment and a reminder. I will do some 3b hand history checking today to see how I do in different spots, I can't wait really because I want to master this now.

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport / So Good They Can't Ignore You by Cal Newport / JoeVitale AttractMoneyNow(this one looks shady but friend recommended it) / Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks

Plan for today:
    Play, work on 3bets, the standard stuff, work for school, and since the house is full I'll be a bit distracted anyways so I might take a couple of hours off to rest and be with gf, maybe go for a walk and nice lunch to eat fish with family, taking it easy today and really need to get this school work done like I said for next two weeks school is more important so then then I have off for 3 weeks.

24. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Journal Entry #5

Fitness:
    Since everything hurt me today I just decided to go for a 3.5km run. I wanted to stretch afterwards but got so hungry that needed to eat and til the time I finished eating I cooled down already so didn't do it, plus never felt like stratching anyways. Sometimes I stretch for like 40min or even 1h but lately I don't really have this moments, maybe because it's winter or I feel that I don't have time. We'll see how my neck is tmrw.

Life:
    Had many distractions so didn't work much, read radical acceptance, wrote out specific spots to remember from this week that happened which took me like 1h probably, played for 1h, reviewed some plo forum hands and did cold shower. Other than that I had a nice lunch with parents and then we went to get same desert to another city which took like 2h alltogether(I didn't eat desert but tried some wine) all in all it was a very low energy day, maybe because I'm tired or because I got so much on my mind. It was decent.

Here's the fish, pretty big like 2.5kg for four people and a beautiful view from my balcony in the morning:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Poker:
    I tried to get max value in some spots with 2nd nuts but ended up valuetowning myself which I still think on the long run was alright. Overall didn't run pretty well. I got a bit frustrated afterwards, and was also prior to playing already because of low energy and distractions but I'm realizing that what I truly want is right here for me to take it and that is to work on the theory hard so that I get better in game and to get rid of distractions so I have better position before I start playing and also to really not care about the money but about decisions so the point is that wiht school I kind of feel I have a bit more stress and distractions which affects poker but you gotta do best with what you ahve so next two weeks I suck it up, show up giving my best, then I will be ready to explode. So tomorrow I want to do HH emmorizing, 3b exercises, play.

Equity Matchups:

Rankings for KsJc6d5s
    Ranking Description Average
    6H 6-handed iterative 31.0
    VR vs. random hand 34.0

Rankings for AcKs6d5s
    6H 6-handed iterative 17.0
    VR vs. random hand 21.0

Rankings for AcKh5d3h
    6H 6-handed iterative 22.0
    VR vs. random hand

Hand Equity
    KdKh6c5s 35.68%
    30% 32.19%
    30% 32.12%

Hand Equity
    KdKh6c5s 54.15%
    30% 45.85%

Hand Equity
    AT65$ds 45.75%
    20% 54.25%

Hand Equity
    AT76$ds 47.66%
    20% 52.34%

Hand Equity
    AK76$ds 50.68%
    20% 49.32%

25. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

Journal Entry #6

Alan Lakein, How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life / Alan Lakein, Give Me a Moment and I'll Change Your Life: Tools for Moment Management / The Poker Mindset: Essential Attitudes for Poker Success by Matthew Hilger / Everything by Tommy Angelo / MGOP I. and II. /

Fitness:
    Neck is almost good today but still not quite so I only did stretching today like 40min and it felt really good. Would like to do this once a week but I need to be in the moment for this with no rush and with a calming mind otherwise I' halfassing it so will not force it for now.

Life:
    I am standing up as I'm wiriting this which is great and huge progress, I'll be doing that from now on since sitting is killing me. Woke up at 9 after 8h sleep I think and I started going over every 3b spot I had til now nd marking it, thinking about theory and practice. So now when time I'll review again the marked hands and then those that I do not know or need confirmation will ask on coaching but not in BPC but will probably pay Kyyberi since I trust him the most. Problem with BPC coaches is that they never played plo2-plo10 only plo25+ and atm they are playing plo50-plo100 so they don't really know what's going on on micros, second thing is that time is very limited since its group coaching, thrid thing is that they don't really focus on the hand so much so for example I ask what do you think and he gives me the answer but then I say but really despite his stack size and he's like oh I didn't see that or similar, and many things like that which I need to deal with. I'm still learning from them and all it's just that I want top coaching not just coaching. Not to mention that most coaches don't really know how to coach, just how to play. Ok anyways so after that I had a nice lunch, before lunch I also went over some posted PLO hands on 2+2 and such and then took a nap with gf for like 2h which felt really good and I will not beat myself over it because I feel it was good for my body and mind, then I took a walk and they went home to Slovenia. I've been eating lots of fruits and vegetabes in last 3 days and feel it's really good for me. SO after they were gone I watched one poker video series Shuffle and Flow(more about later) and then warmed up and played for 90min, cooldown, stretching. Now I'll write this, make plans for next week and hit the bed.

Poker:
    Most of it I wrote above but what I didn't mention is that I played straight up 10 today. I won't write it all here since I have it written down in my poker journal but I really was in deep state of focus. Did everything I should have. Sure there are improvments to be made but I'm on the right track. I also reconsidered my approach a bit and things related and realized many things that I forgot along the way which put me on the right track again. It truly was a great day, I learned a lot, returned to my wisdom, I was so at ease with life, feeling so good. I thought prior to playing about life for a bit and for the first time probably played out of pure willingness to improve not out of anxiety for the money and good future or feelings of unworthiness or anything liek that, great moments they were, basically I realized that average life can be great as well if you know how to appreciate it so the worst case scenario doesn't scare me anymore, I'd be it my own and enjoy if comes, so now I can focus on the future without anxiety(even though it's lover than for many people already) and slowly rush along this path I've set out for myself. I also checked in pt4 average stats of villains on my stake which will help me a lot in the future.

Next Week Working Plan:
    Organize Bookmarks and Clean the Desktop
    Keep checking PLO hands on forums and marking those to remember or to ask
    Attend the coachings and twitch streams and rewatch them + make notes and put into the HH memorizing if needed + rewatch the old ones from last week
    Go over the old HH memorizing stuff
    Review the 3b hands again and get coaching for that(rewatch it + make notes)
    Get a bd present for gf
    Format the computer
    Get the OIB number
    Go over HH memorizing(3b, equity matchups, HH spots)
    Be sure to read the poker journal before playing again
    Mon-Wed no playing mainly studying for school
    Cold showers
    Fitness
    Don't have to write journal every day unless somehitng special or poker related happens
    Finish reading Hwang's PLO book and continue with Radical accpetance(devise a book reading plan for the future)
    Get yourself the todo list notebook
    After getting the notebook make a new todo list, more detailed, especially for tasks that are giving you trouble and devide the bigger ones into the smaller chunks
    Go over the important stuff from this journal that you forgot about
    Devise a new morning routine for the next days
    Organize hands from this week(also those from the phone and those 3b spots from the ploquick pro/plo from scratch etc.)
    Finish shuffle and flow exercises:
    -Write down your strategy and mental leaks
    -Write down your life goals
    -What does poker mean to you, why do you play, what is your end goal
    -Be detailed about your poker preparation / What are you doing that you shouldn't; What aren't you doing that you should; What are you doing that you should be doing more of;

From now on I expect from myself to have this detailed out and follow it even if sleepy, even if in a bad mood and if I feel it's not worth it. I expect to have a good warmup and cooldown with the new ideas implemented from the poker journal. When watching vids remember to pause and think of what you'd do first also before checking equity matchups guess equity first and don't forget to HH memorize.

Tomorrow morning only do: cold shower, visualization/meditation, warmup, todo list, affirmations,

#25 TheChampion, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017