1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

All You Need Is Chips and Hair (MTT-blog)

Discussion in 'Blogs and projects' started by MarkusY, Mar 16, 2015.

1. MarkusY

MarkusY Well-Known Member

Hello,

after bloging from day one at the Finnish side of PokeriMania I tought that it would be fun to to open a blog to the English side too. Hopefully I can produce some interesting material here and maybe meet some new pokerplayers outside of Finland :tup:

So here`s a short introduction:

:c: :d: :heart: :s:

History

I started playing poker in 2008. Although I don`t know if the first year really counts since I only played Zynga poker :oops: But in 2009 I made my first deposit of 25$ and started to play cash games on PartyPoker. By reading some poker books from the local library and playing a really nitty poker I managed to win about 900$ in the first year. I think this was a combination of running really good and terrible opponents. Year 2010 I played NL25 on Everest Poker. I was still a real nit and just waited for good hands and the opponents to make mistakes. I managed to make around 200-400$ a month but never tried to move up the stakes. Just cashed out a couple of hundered bucks when my account hit 500 dollars and then grinded it up from 300$ to 500$ and made another withdrawal. Didn`t study much poker at the time, I was just happy to make some easy extra cash and didn`t really think about moving up the levels.

In the year 2012 I moved my games to IPoker network and finally decided to move up stakes. I managed to beat NL50 but in NL100 I had some problems. So after about 5 months of going between NL50 and NL100 I decided to give MTT:s a shot and never looked back since. I didn`t even have a really good start on mtt:s but it felt really fresh after 4 years of grinding cash games. In the first year playing MTT:s I managed to get 15% roi by playing 5-10$ games. The next year, 2013, I started to play on Pokerstars and had a really rough start because I underestimated the variance of the megafield tournaments. After I realised that I play wrong type of games I started to search for tournaments with smaller fields and managed to turn my year into a winning year. But in the late fall 2013 I had a really big downswing so was pretty lost of what shoud I do.

In the start of the year 2014 I decided to take poker more seriously. I started to play 45- and 180-men games on Pokerstars as my main game. Also I was named as a moderator of the brand new PokeriMania-forum and there were lot`s of great free coachings that I wached and also tried to participate as much as I could to the coaching chat. Also took couple of private coachings from Aarnimetsa and really improved my game by also talking a lot about the hands and different situations with Korpisoturi who also lives here in my hometown. In 2014 I managed to win almost 10k$ (had a realistic chance to go past the 10k$ mark on the last session of the year but unfortunatly couldn`t make it).

Present

In November I decided to spread my bankroll to various sites, hoping to find some softer games. It was a really good decicion as you can see from the results:

888Poker:

Stars.fr (actually have won more here, sharkscope is missing about 600$):

RAY:

Also I sometimes play some 5.10$ hyper-mtt:s and 180-men on Pokerstars.eu if I have some extra space on the screen but only like 2-3 games/set.

Future

So the plan now is to crush the 10-20$ games and hopefully move to bigger games at some point. My minimum goal is to have atleast 10k$ profits this year and sofar have won 4-figs in the first two months of the year so a pretty good start to the year. At somepoint I would like to reduce some hours from my dayjob. I am working only 4 days a week at the moment but it would be great to be able to work only 1-3 days a week and have poker as the main income.

Since this is a new blog I wanted to do something special, so on Sunday I recorded my full set. Devided it to 1 hour videos so here is the first one:

Besides the gameplay I would like to get some feedback from the presentation:

-is it too hard to follow the action when I am using stack&tile and the tables are bouncing on the screen
    -is the audio quality good enough
    -is my english understandable
    -other places for improvement

Asking these because I am maybe opening my own twich-channel at some point and want to produce good material if I start to stream.

Attached Files:

#1 MarkusY, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
    Tags:
    • Thanks Thanks x 9
  2. Pokerz

Pokerz New Member

Re: MarkusY Winning the important MTT-flips...hopefully :D

great video :tup:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. xxIxx

xxIxx Moderator

Finally!
    Epicness ahead. Will check the video later today!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. RiQC

RiQC Well-Known Member

Nice start MarkusY!

And also great to get some backround to you aswell. I will check the video later and give you feed back!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. MarkusY

3rd +1k day of the year. I have now had one of these every month :tup:

So, here`s the second part of the video series:

Still would like to hear some feedback from the gameplay and presentation :)

Attached Files:

#5 MarkusY, Mar 22, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Champion Champion x 1
  6. RiQC

RiQC Well-Known Member

Nice game play! And your articulation of the situations is really good.

One thing that makes it easier to follow would be to have preferred seat. The stack and tile is not that bad actually.

Will watch the other video definitely when I have spare time again.

Thank you!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. MarkusY

Was a really busy week at work so today`s session was the only session of the week. Luckily managed to get a good score:

Thanks for the feedback!

Here`s part 3:

Attached Files:

#7 MarkusY, Mar 30, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Champion Champion x 1
  8. danitah

danitah Well-Known Member

Nice score in the $16.50 Turbo. Congrats! :)

I only saw part of the video, but commentary is really good. It's good that you stop for a little bit on all hands before deciding what to do. I tend to fold too quickly with some crappy looking hands without looking at the complete situation, and I'm missing some spots, even when I'm playing only a few tables.

5:00 he didn't have a straight, only pair of 9 :P Easy to miss-read stuff like that sometimes so no worries ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. MarkusY

Thanks for the feedback danitah! I watched a few minutes of the video too and noticed that sometimes I talk about the hands as "suited" eventhough they are offsuit and some other similar mistakes. But considering that this is the longest video I have done and also first one with english commentary I think it came out ok :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. MarkusY

Didn`t have much time to play during the week so played a really intensive weekend; about 25 hours and over 100 tournaments. Great results!

Here`s part4 of the video series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYl2Zlf_3e0

Attached Files:

#10 MarkusY, Apr 6, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Champion Champion x 1
  11. MarkusY

Again was only able to play on weekend because I was sick during the week. But good news ahead: after next week I should get back to normal rythm at work and that means I am again able to play 4-5 sessions and 20-30 hours of poker every week :tup:

So only 10 hours of poker this week but on saturday I made an account to Coral poker via PokeriMania. No success yet on Coral poker in the first two sessions but instead managed to win thisone today on 888poker:

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Champion Champion x 1
  12. MarkusY

Played two sessions today and managed to win over 1k :tup:

Also bought a new mouse so now I have some hotkeys for stack&tile in my mouse wich makes it easier and faster to controll the tables.
    Will now have 2 days off from poker but next week I should be able to grind around 25-30 hours :tup:

Attached Files:

• Champion Champion x 1
  13. MarkusY

Played some live games yesterday. Haven't played live much this year but last year I played almost every week and managed to win over 3k€. Last years best live score was from Tallinn where I won a 100€ tournament for 1600€. Rest of the winnings came from local nl50 cash games.

Since live games are a lot softer than games on internet I think these are mistakes that a good player shouldn't do:

a) overplaying hands/going broke with marginal hands
    b) making 3-barrel bluffs in 'good' spots if the opponent isn't capable of folding
    c) making hero calls in big pots, you can win the money a lot easier later with smaller risk in a better spot

I made all those mistakes yesterday (mistake B I made 3 times...well actually 4 but it worked the 4th time :D ). So note to self; always adjust to your opponents. A 'good play' isn't always a good play and it might be a terrible play against a villain who only plays his own cards.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MarkusY

Won another tournament today, been running really good for the past 6 or 7 sessions :tup:

Here`s an interesting hand from the final table, I don`t think the villain is representing much on the river so decided to go for a bluff. Also my check-raise on the river looks really strong so even if he has hit something (which I don`t believe he has) he needs to fold most of his hands here. I was going for the same move already on the turn but when he checks the turn his bet on the river makes even less sense.

888 Poker - $10+$1|3000/6000 Ante 600 NL - Holdem - 5 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 129,311 (VPIP: 18.22, PFR: 14.85, 3Bet Preflop: 8.57, Hands: 1,617)
    UTG: 141,260 (VPIP: 14.78, PFR: 12.08, 3Bet Preflop: 6.45, Hands: 319)
    CO: 131,588 (VPIP: 12.63, PFR: 7.95, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 98)
    BTN: 192,716 (VPIP: 15.88, PFR: 11.66, 3Bet Preflop: 6.70, Hands: 494)
    Hero (SB): 137,125

5 players post ante of 600, Hero posts SB 3,000, BB posts BB 6,000

Pre Flop: (pot: 12,000) Hero has T:spade: 4:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 3,000, BB checks

Flop: (15,000, 2 players) 6:spade: 8:club: K:diamond:
    Hero bets 6,000, BB calls 6,000

Turn: (27,000, 2 players) A:spade:
    Hero checks, BB checks

River: (27,000, 2 players) 2:club:
    Hero checks, BB bets 9,000, Hero raises to 22,555, fold

Hero wins 45,000

Attached Files:

• Champion Champion x 1
  15. MarkusY

Another great week resultwise! Played 25 hours and managed to make it 4th +4figs week in a row :tup:

Aiming to keep my hourly winnings +20$/h this year and after this week I am now +21$/h so hope to keep up this pace or better for the rest of the year :)

Two trophies this week:

This is the first month I have checked my results only once a week. Really helps to focus on the game when you don`t know the excact score during the session/week.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  16. Hollander

Hollander Member

21$/hr
    Thats pretty farm sweet though
    Kinda jealous XD
    Better than average job pays you here in NL
    Keep up the keep work
    Are you planning higher BI mtts btw??

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. MarkusY

Thanks!

21$/h is more than I make from my dayjob too so hope to keep up this pace for the rest of the year :)

The next step will be taking 50$ freezouts and 20$ rebuys into the set but I'm not in any rush adding higher buy in games yet. Really satisfied with my tournament schedule at the moment but if I find some soft bigger games I might take a shot at those at some point. I have actually played a few 40€ re-entrys and 25€ rebuys but those are games that do not run every day.

Was a great start to this week too when I finally won one of these megafield hypers:

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. Hollander

Hollander Member

so soon where seeing you in all sundaymajors :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. MarkusY

During a 17 day period I will have only 3 days of work so will go for 13-15 sessions of poker. That should make about 80 hours and 500 tournaments.

Today was the first session and pretty cool start:

Attached Files:

20. MarkusY

So close! Got it in supergood 3 times for the trophy but the opponent hit his miracle river every time. Happy about my largest cash so far though! :tup:

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Champion Champion x 1
  21. danitah

danitah Well-Known Member

Awesome result! Big congrats :)

Edit: Pretty cool that I finished 2nd in 1K-player tournament that I was playing while I was writing this post earlier also :D (See my blog ;))

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Hollander

Hollander Member

GG
    Thats what you call a nice payday
    Should have uped ur $/hr pretty nice

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. MarkusY

Ty! And congratulations to you too! :tup:

Ty Hollander! Yes 29,5$/h now for this year wich is pretty awesome :)

24. MarkusY

Made a little different type of video from my 10e+r Storm, interested on hearing some feedback on thistype of video :tup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAREifgR3kA

#24 MarkusY, May 12, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Champion Champion x 1
  25. Aarnimetsa

Aarnimetsa Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Poker Coach

Took some time before I saw comments. I prefer the videos where ideas are spoken a lot more than with just oneliners. The rhythm is pretty quick though, so it keeps it interesting even without talk.

Some nice spots there where people overshoved at the right moments for you and also you hit pretty nicely on multiple spots to make most of the actions pretty easy. Well, at least before the headsup started (actions were easy still easy, but man, results were terrible time and again)...

I'd think the spot near 2:15 where you shove like 6BBs against a 3x-raise on HJ with K9o might be a spew? Worked out pretty well for you though when someone from behind got in the pot and the first raiser had to fold so there was plenty of dead money in the pot you contested.

On 3:45 at FT, I don't like the overbet on the river. I'd think you'll get a pretty similar amount of folds even with a smaller sizing here. I don't think the risk/reward is there for an overbet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1