1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Guidance Needed

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by Hexxxen, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Hexxxen

Hexxxen New Member

Hello !

I recently start grinding again after a decent break from poker . My main games for the moment are 0.25c 45 players regular speed & 0.50c 9 players turbo . I only play 0.5c when i don`t have traffic on 0.25c .

Before the break, i use to have 50% ROI on 0.25c on ~6000 games , respectively 11% on 0.5c on ~ 10.000 games .

Now i feel like i am struggling a bit , even tho i do have decent results still , this feeling might be due to a good stretch of games running poorly , and that is what i want to ask you guys . How regularly can i expect this periods of losing mostly of my flips ( you can see in the photos ) ? My plan is to move up limits , but if i get this long of a period on such small stakes, i don`t wanna know what is waiting for me when i decide to climb up . Normal step would be 1$ 27-180 and some 1$ 9 players turbo KO i think when the traffic allows .

I posted a photo of my positional play , i saw Ghaleon asks for it most of the time . Maybe he has some points on it ?

I reckon most of previus 0.25c 45 mans were played before this structure with early antes kicked-in , but i think i did a pretty good job deffending my BB wider ,i open a bit bigger than before because the pot is bigger , and i do open shove some hands i would open fold before because now we have some more dead money in the pot .

On the other side, on the 0.5c 9 players turbo , my graph indicates EV ROI at 12% ,it`s a small sample yet but i think it`s a good indicator at were i am with my play .

You guys think i should stick with only 1 format ? And i saw danitah has a very long streak of bad run on his hypers, how can you find the strenght to keep going trough daily grind ? I feel a bit awkard , not tilted , but angry because seems were i`m bleeding and i can`t do nothing about it`s when i have races going ( as you can see in the photo ) . I don`t know if it has any meaning, but when i flips, i try to have that 5% ahead, to be a 55-45 , not the other way around, as much as i can .

What should my mindset be right now ?

As a side note ,wich HUD would serve the best for 45m exclusively ? At the moment , i am playing with
    VPPIP / PRF / 3bet / Fold to 3bet
    Flop Cbet / Fold to flop Cbet / Limp-Fold
    CO Steal / HJ Steal / Button Steal /
    Limp-fold SB / Fold BB to SB open

Attached Files:

Tags:
    • Champion Champion x 2
  2. Hexxxen

Hexxxen New Member

So i decided to grind some more 0.5c 9 players turbo, i dropped the number of tables from 20-25 , i usually played sets , to 12 tables with continue register so i can focus better . EV-wise things are going good , as you can see , but i run so gross in every spot .

I consider moving to 888 , i see they have similar SNG structures , but i think the players are a bit below Pokerstars average , so it might be a good idea . What do you guys think, for a faster bankroll increase , should i go with 888 or Pokerstars ?

Attached Files:

3. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

$EV will obviously be closer to real edge than actual results if it's working correctly on site you play. Likely so in stars. There is always variance to make things sometimes nasty or great :) You can google variance simulator if you want to simulate different run possibilities with certain format and EV ROI.

HUD seems good to me. Though would still add SB steal as well.

In positional report it would be nice to have steal/raise first and blind defend stats. Now it's tough to say how often you play from position or how much you defend. But 15/12 stats in general indicate somewhat tight play. 3bet also pretty low but then again in micro games people probably won't fold huge amount so value heavy 3bet range could be optimal.

Can't do anything about flips and you should not be avoiding those. If it means missing +EV actions especially if short stack. You can avoid of doing marginal plays with bit deeper stacks as having enough edge could create better spots on average. But if you do it too much then that edge starts to disappear so to say.

Over 10% EVROI in 9man is great so I would say you have been doing great on those games. 600 games is obviously pretty small sample but when EV is that high it's unlikely you would be anywhere close to breakeven in long run. So find confidence from that :)

I would recommend to focus on one format. Especially if it allows to play enough tables. One possibility is also to mix buy-in levels if bankroll and mindset allow that.

888 rakeback at least in mid stakes was non existing year or two ago. But then again same apply to stars pretty much. So if you think games are softer in there it doesn't hurt to try. But it's good idea to check things like rake, blind structure, how many games running before trying. E.g. if blind structure is faster it can be tough to find enough edge for games to really be better. Noticed that in partypoker.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Hexxxen

Hexxxen New Member

Hi Ghaleon .! Thanks for such detailed answer , i took my time to read and understand what you said.

Even tho i have a decent ROI on those 45m regular speed, i feel like they are not my top game , and the spots i suck big time are the 3b spots, probably that`s why i am not that succesful in tournament game deepstack , on turbo tournaments i feel more secure, there is less room for mistakes , some small balling here and there and you are good to go :)

At your recomandation, i will stick with 9m turbos, on Stars the traffic , at least at micros it`s good, you can load tones of tables on a 10 minute window , so playing sets might be a good idea, you`ll have the tables at the same blind level pretty much all the time ,and it`s a better idea than playing continuesly having no breaks, i often had some toilet issues in the middle of the session :)

As per buy-in level , on this 0.5c 9m turbo, the structure is without early antes , and the next limit is 1.5 where are early antes, you think mixing them is a good idea ? I can also consider 1$ 9 turbo KO , where i have 9% ROI on 6K games till now , but i havent played them because i did not had enough bankroll .

I started yesterday to play some 888, for my peace of mind , to see what`s what , i was surprised that you can load up tables pretty fast , even if it`s not peak hour , but i struggled with that annoying lobby minimizing every single time i opened a table , and those OK pop-ups all over the place are in your way . I somehow cheated that by leaving the lobby minimized and load up table via " open similar tables " tab on the top right of the table , but it`s still not optimal . It got hard to play more than 12 tables at the same time .

5. SuperOlf

SuperOlf Member

Welcome Hexxxen!:clap:

Your graphs look fantastic despite your poor running(thanks for sharing i shared some strugglethoughts with bad running as well in my blog :d, let's hope it changes again) - i think moving up is worth a try if bankroll allows it.

Your posts in the handforum indicate that you are a good player who should have some more confidence in your mindset aswell just like Ghaleon all said :tup:
    Gl at your tables!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Hexxxen

Hexxxen New Member

As a short update , things are going down even deeper while EV is going up , has to end at some point , but without grind , can`t reach that spot , nice and steady.. I`ll keep you posted , maybe i`ll comeback with some graph, i know you guys love seeing graphs !
    Best of luck !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Hexxxen

Hexxxen New Member

Alright guys . So for the moment my focus is on 0.5 9 man turbo SNGs and some MTTs if i win tickets from Starscoins . I decided to play only this format for now because here is where i feel most confortable and i have a secure game .

Few days ago i reviewed a lot of my SNGs just to be sure i`m doing the right thing and i observed that i am waaaaaay to passive in some spots and i let myself be abused by weak players , and all i need to do to change that it was to be aware and now i feel like am crushing those spots . Many thanks to Ghaleon for guiding me in the right way , mostly with that " you should 3 bet more " :D And so i did , mostly in reshove spots , where usually i just called pre as a deffensive play, but in some cycles it`s better to reshove . Here i am talking about reshoving vs BTN open with stacks from 15-25 bbs .

I finally reach out of that pithole ,and i am very happy for my EV line , and i know i am heading in the right way . I needed to know that i`m doing ok before i was playing again so i just took my time reviewing and now i just love my plays .I am always trying to diversify and i have that fire in me again .

Thank you all for the confidence boost and strategy !

I posted a graph and the stats from the games after the review .

Attached Files:

• Champion Champion x 1
  8. Hexxxen

Hexxxen New Member

Another question i have , how much volume is at least the minimum i should have ?

The facts are :

I can play sets from 20-25 tables
    Games are loading very fast , so filling ~20 tables in 5-10 minutes it is not a problem
    I have all day at my disposal at the moment
    A session usually lasts 50-60 minutes

My daily target is somewhere ~150 games/day , but still , i always feel like i should play more , but i`m getting lost in ridicolous things , like broswing internet , watching TV series...

9. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

I would recommend to decrease table amount. Less action and better decisions combined with lot of session analyzing. That is lot better way to improve than try to mass multitable. You won't make lot of money in micro buy-in games so move focus from quantity to quality.

One option is to play continuous session for few hours at time. Keep smaller amount of table but try to register into new games when they drop. Not mandatory by any means as having games in different phases can be more tricky.

Poker is mentally pretty heavy and long sessions can take tall in physical side as well. It's common thing that when someone tries to play as main income they count that ok I will play x hours per day for y days in week. But usually it will be tougher than expected and you also want to commit certain time to study the game outside tables.

So think about realistic plan and keep up with it. How many hours on how many days is something that shouldn't be defined by outsider. You are likely best one to define what is good for you.

But I would say for most players 150 games per day is already lot. Especially for constant playing so monthly volume would go around 3k or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hexxxen

Hexxxen New Member

Ghaleon ,thank you ! You are on point as usual .

I found some hands so i updated the graph for 0.5 9m turbos .

When i`m ready to move up , i`m going to need some coaching from you Ghaleon , so wait for me !

Attached Files:

• ssss.png
      ssss.png
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
  11. Hexxxen

Hexxxen New Member

Ghaleon , from 20-25 tables played as sets, you think playing 12-15 tables with continues registering is an ok-ish number ? I feel confy with 15 tables at all times .