1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Ghaleon SNG Tuesday 20.3. at 20 CET -

MTT: In BB vs SB Reg Limp on Final Table (180man)

Discussion in 'Hand analysis' started by Neo1186, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Neo1186

Neo1186 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    PokerStars - 2000/4000 Ante 400 NL - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 2.9 BB (VPIP: 19.23, PFR: 17.50, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 52)
    MP: 2.6 BB (VPIP: 7.69, PFR: 6.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 52)
    CO: 22.93 BB (VPIP: 23.05, PFR: 21.57, 3Bet Preflop: 8.11, Hands: 501)
    BTN: 13.64 BB (VPIP: 30.51, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 61)
    SB: 12.03 BB (VPIP: 18.33, PFR: 12.62, 3Bet Preflop: 7.36, Hands: 445)
    Hero (BB): 13.4 BB

6 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.1 BB) Hero has 7:diamond: K:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 0.5 BB, Hero???

The stuff of nightmares. So SB is realy good known Reg, but I don't have any knowledge about his SB strategy.

Now this is final table and there are 2 microstacks. I thought at first this is great spot to jam over his limp since he has to fold so much because of icm preassure. But then I thought since he is a good Reg he should know that and not limp there that much in this spot. Also with only 8.6 adjusted-BB he is not that deep. So what does he limp there, other than traps? And it's also good spot to shove wide (nearly 70% open jam in nash) for SB since he nearly covers me.

So is it a mistake to jam here vs Reg?
  2. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

Oct 30, 2013
    Well I dont think its mistake to shove this combo as default. Its one of more sensible ones versus his plausible range as it has blocker value and decent equity versus inducing range. Which gets us into his range defining. It sure is spot where limping range should be heavily polarized. With two micro stacks and "big" stacks ICM will be really heavy. So I would think villain is happy to shove stuff like KQ, AK or 99. So imo his trap range could be even as tight as JJ+ or so. Other part should be more marginal hands for shoving like some 76o etc. He should never have stuff like JT or 89s and so on.

So if that range assumption is valid then shoving K7s make more sense than e.g. 88. One option in this sort of spot could be to just check most of your range and go for postflop in position. As we will either run into monster or get weakish hands to fold. Also one sort of interesting option is to raise to 2.5bb or so. But this has problem that good reg might not be quite as face up with his range. E.g. he might not just shove his trap hands but its pretty tough for him to continue with his weak part of range. So it could work as way to find out for cheap price if it was trap. Now of course your range for raise-call will be pretty tight as well so if we do it lot then our range is likely not balanced at all.

This is also spot where its really easy to be unbalanced with SB limp range. E.g. if he is only inducing with big pockets then its not that many combos. So if he is type of player to use lot of SB limping in general it can be easy to include too many of those weakish hands in there. But this is really reg dependent spot. Some will limp really trap heavy range, some will still raise with nuts and limp range is going to give up almost always. So good spot to make note if hand went to showdown. Also if he is inducing wider than I assumed.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1