1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Poker, Love & Life

Discussion in 'Blogs and projects' started by Dayah, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hello and welcome to my world! We have fun and games! :P

Maybe I should start at the beginning of my poker life? Or even further away? This is a short story of a girl, who never knew what to do with her life while growing up, and still wonders what kind of opportunities the future will lay for her path.

I was studying at the University when I met my future fiance, we both studied IT and business in Finland at the time. I didn't know a thing about poker, not even if the straight beats the flush! About three and half years ago he started to teach me when he re-found an interest in poker after some years.

I started to play small stakes SNGs, learning a lot of new stuff on the way. My first games were 45-men SNGs at PokerStars and at some point I switched to FullTilt to play super turbo STTs (probably also something else in between). They were fun and fast! At spring 2011 after Black Friday I switched back to PokerStars. I have played mainly super turbos, fifty50's, some MTT-SNGs, 9-max, 6-max, hypers... The very next year I reached SuperNova, and this is my third year as a SuperNova level grinder! We both, my fiance Aarnimetsa and I, are poker professionals and he's been a poker coach for over three years already.

I don't usually play live and my very first live tourney just happened to be at PCA Bahamas! I won a package and enjoyed the great atmosphere, drinking BahamaMamas and taking my first Caribbean cruise after the event. Other awesome live event memory was when I won a side event at EPT Tallinn. During that trip I kind of fell in love with the city, and guess what, I live in Tallinn now with my fiance.

I was writing a blog at the another poker site since I started to learn poker. Last year at the end of October they just suddenly decided to kill the Finnish community and told the users no Finnish material will be done anymore. Everybody at the Finnish community was shocked about the situation, it all came out of the nowhere, we didn't know then what hit us and why.

I was afraid that all the great people who I had come to know during the years would either disappear or spread around the internet. During the same evening PokeriMania.com was born. It all started less than three months ago, it was a basic simple forum with a single post saying "Welcome to our new home". We started the Finnish forum by building it brick by brick, listening to our users and starting with fresh ideas. We all made it our new home, built with friendliness and hard work.

At the moment our Suomi-forum is already the most active Finnish poker forum. We have 8 160 forum messages, 32 300 chat posts, approximately four weekly live coaching sessions - all of which (130 videos or hundreds of hours material in Finnish) can be found at our YouTube channel for free! All of this and more under 3 months, not too shabby ;)

Today we added the English version of the forum and we hope to achieve new goals soon! We aren't done yet with the improvements, there's still a lot to come so stay tuned.

Feel free to leave a message, I'd love to know you better!

Tags:
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  2. xxIxx

xxIxx Moderator

Great post!
    Per aspera ad astra!

3. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

We have now had two English MTT coaching sessions with Aarnimetsa, last Wednesday and Sunday. It was awesome to see familiar faces in the chat! It's a lot easier to talk more than five hours if there's interesting conversations in chat, huge thanks for all participants. There was a lot of good questions about the hands but also some off topic which is not a bad thing! I'm pretty sure the more fun we have, the more you listeners enjoy our evening. Keep up the good job! :P

It's quite horrible to hear myself talking in English on the video. If you have never heard yourself recorded, give it a try and prepare to be amazed (and probably not in a good way). It's completely different than you could expect and weird. Very weird. Next I need to adjust my voice to the same level with Aarnimetsa since he's talking a lot louder than I am. He's used to giving coaching online so he knows how to talk, loud and clear. I tend to talk too fast, ever in real life, and I'm not used to talking with webcam. Some more practice and I do hope I will get better at it!

If you happened to miss our Sunday session, please check it out here and subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... sx2Dw1RQci . :tup:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Kyyberi

Kyyberi Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Poker Coach Moderator

The first barrier is to get used to hear yourself. Pretty much everyone hates his/her voice. Then the second barrier is to get used to hear yourself speaking english. :clap:

5. Aarnimetsa

Aarnimetsa Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Poker Coach

I'm thinking that part of the problem is how the microphones we use distort our sound. I know I can tell which microphone I'm using from a video, the one with a larger beam that incorporates two speakers better or my headset microphone. Of course, it's only part of the problem. It's just easy to hear the bad things, not the good ones. English definately takes getting used to, I have gotten used to my own voice in Finnish and getting used to what I sound like. In the English broadcasts thus far, I just feel that I have butchered pronounciation multiple times. I will probably give myself a standing ovation when I'll manage to pronounce psychologically without stuttering.

I like live streams because once I press broadcast, it's going to be on and speech just needs to come flowing. When you can't start it again and edit it as long as it takes to make it good, you will be productive and produce something. If I would be making a video only that I can edit as long as I want, I would probably be recording just the introduction in English probably 15 times over because I would think I had horribly mispronounced a word or used a stupid word.

6. Kyyberi

Kyyberi Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Poker Coach Moderator

Pronouncing errors = accent

7. Aarnimetsa

Staff Member Poker Coach

I think accent is different from pretty much twisting my tongue to a knot while trying to pronounce a word and starting 3 times over. Accent happens with every word I say in English, but I'm talking more about those words that are just impossible for a Finn without years of dedicated practice.

8. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's also very frustrating when you do know how to say something but your tongue does not work! I try to avoid the word "suggestion" or "strategy" since they seem to be impossible for me say out loud. I have got over with a fear of starting a conversation in English but it doesn't mean I'm never secretly ashamed of my errors. I think it's part of the Finnish mentality, try to talk in English with someone from Southern Europe, they just talk no matter how poorly and with no hesitation.

Anyway, it would be an easy solution to say that all my pronunciation errors are just my accent :D

9. nigglenorf52

nigglenorf52 New Member

Dayah, first off your English is actually very good (as is Aarnimetsa's). Second, your attitude and the fun you are having making videos is really infectious (if you're unsure, this is a huge compliment). Third, you guys are extremely knowledgeable, and I wish I had 10% of the poker knowledge you guys have. Thanks for all your hard work with this site - it is truly appreciated!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Thank you very much for your kind words! :heart: I really appreciate your feedback, it's good to hear you like what you've seen and heard. We really hope to help other poker players and create discussion about hands - usually there's more than just one good option for the situation. We have noticed that if there's time & room for the members to share their opinions about hands in (Finnish) Hand Analysis before a coach says something the conversation is a lot more active and interesting. People tend to shut down if they think a really good player/coach has said the final word and that's it.

There's a couple of projects in Finnish in which two completely strangers to each other have decided to start to co-work with their poker skills! That's awesome, together we are able to achieve much more rather than just sitting alone and scratching our heads wondering what to do next.

We have tried to keep our poker nights fun and useful, life is not that serious ;) It's not just strategy and theory, it's important to keep things interesting. As you may have noticed, you can expect to hear almost anything during our poker nights :crazy: :lol:

Next weekend we'll be in Stockholm at PokerStars VIP Club! I'm really excited about that, it's nice to visit Stockholm again and to meet new people. We'll arrive on Saturday morning and leave Sunday late afternoon so we have time to meet up with our friends and hopefully some PokerStars Pros! If we have a chance we might even shoot some videos while we are at it :D If you want to ask some questions from them (if we happen to see them) you are free to leave me note here! There's at least Team Online members Katerina "Katerina289" Malasidou, Alex "Kanu7" Millar and Luka "LukaSteel" Kovac arriving to the party.

http://www.pokerstarsblog.com/women/201 ... 7800.shtml

If you are coming to Stockholm and want to meet us you can send me a private message too! :tup:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. nigglenorf52

nigglenorf52 New Member

Thanks, Dayah. I posted my first hand(s) yesterday and already received two very thoughtful, helpful responses.

I don't think I can make it to Stockholm - I am in Toronto and it would be quite a trip for the party, but the fact that you even invited me tells me that everyone there is going to be treated like family and will have a great time. I was in Oslo and Trondheim once, and have friends in Finland so would be great to visit again at some point.

Cheers!

12. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, you're a Canadian, awesome to have you from across the Atlantic! It would be quite a trip from Toronto, I agree.

We started this site with one big guide line on our minds: here we are friendly and we expect that behavior from others too. There's too many poker sites that don't give a s**t about anyone's feelings and in those places it's extremely hard for the beginners to ask anything if they only receive instant bad mouthing. Luckily our members respect that :tup: Or else.... :lol:

Tomorrow we leave to Stockholm! I still have some time left to grind and I do need it. Anyway I decided to get my nails done today with "gel nails" for the first time ever and I love it :heart: Now they should last good looking for a couple of weeks with no worries whatsoever. Now the only problem is what on earth I'm going to pack this time?! :wtf:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. nigglenorf52

nigglenorf52 New Member

Are we going to see some pictures or hear stories from Stockholm? Hopefully you guys had a good time!

14. Aarnimetsa

Staff Member Poker Coach

15. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just uploaded pictures from my phone to my computer, we'll see if there's any good shots! I also shared some pics while travelling on our Facebook page, check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pokerimania

16. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Some pre-dinner drinks on the ship from Tallinn to Stockholm :)

Evening dinner by Silja Line á la Carte - Signature Menu by Bonterra, delicious!

Samba style entertainment on the ship. I even had some videos but I can't open them at the moment...

The day we arrived was sunny & warm! This is the park opposite the evening event location, Sturecompagniet.

Attached Files:

17. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I went through my pictures and noticed that "the official ones" from PokerStars Stockholm party are way better than mine... no surprise there. Anyway, a couple of pics more!

Yep, she swallowed it, and there's more than one sword in her hand :wtf:

Pretty ladies.... I know you like them :D

Loved the idea of photo booth at the party! Did you see a celebrity in the picture, did you ;)

Next day we went for a walk around city and found this weird vehicle :wtf: Luckily we weren't the only ones wondering what the heck that is!

What do you need in a summer day? Lovely ice cream of course! Champagne sorbet, Cosmo ice cream, lemon sorbet, licorice... Nam!

Such a beautiful city! :P

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  18. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

19. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Do you need some help with your poker skills? Feel like you can't find the leaks from your game or don't know what to do with them? Do the terms HRC, ICM, HM2 and PT4 create only head aches for you instead of providing help?

Get some private coaching from us! Kyyberi is the master of micro Omaha and Aarnimetsa can help you with SNG's and MTT's plus he knows how to use the poker tools to their maximum. More to come!

20. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

21. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

What happens when you are bored and feeling sunny?

You dye your hair yellow of course! :D There's like million highlights and it's darker on the bottom, pretty cool in my opinion ;)

It was quite shocking at first but I was feeling quite awesome during our Girls Night Out yesterday. :twisted:

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

The best quote of the day, someone commented one of our MTT videos on YouTube, thanks for making my day :heart:

"can't get over dayeh's accent has me hooked on these vids"
    - TheTittyboy691

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

My fiance, Aarnimetsa, went to a diving course a couple of years ago with his friend. I kind of want to do that someday too, but I'm not sure if my nerves will allow that. I've heard awesome stories from below the surface and I would love to see and experience some of these coral wonders before they'll get totally ruined by people.

[​IMG]

I wanna join this kind of fish pool :D

[​IMG]

24. Aarnimetsa

Staff Member Poker Coach

For the record, colors don't seem that vivid underwater, but the serenity you get there is unrivaled. It's quite a shame I hadn't gone diving in years :cry:

25. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wanted to be a bit witty I guess since now we have announced our newest partner at iPoker network, Coral Poker!

Check out the great offers - free £20 on first deposit, 100% up to £1200 (= $2000) first deposit bonus and best of all - awesome Loyalty System, even 50% cashback! Please support our hard work by creating your account at Coral Poker today and start earning money :tup: