1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Ghaleon SNG Tuesday 18.9. at 20 CET -

PokerTracker and Hold'em Manager have merged

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by Dayah, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Dayah

Dayah Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

PokerTracker and Hold'em Manager have merged. The merger will combine the management teams, staff, resources and intellectual property into one unified company. They will continue to maintain, develop and support both PokerTracker and Hold'em Manager.

"There was an overlap in technology, support and infrastructure between the two companies. By merging into one company, we believe we are better positioned today and into the future to provide the best possible online poker software because of:

- The combined experience of the two teams in developing and supporting software for online poker players
    - The efficiencies and scale created by the merger will allow us to invest even more in improving our products."

Hold'em Manager's announcement.

Hold'em Managerin Merge FAQ.

PokerTrackerin Merger Announcement on their forum.

Tags:
  2. Chipbleeder

Chipbleeder Member

:sick:
    ... i dont like it. Now they have a monoploy on trackingsoft.
    (Seriously , is there any other good trackingsoftware ?)

Already planning on HM3/PT5. What a load of BS. Just waiting until they announce
    u´ll not be able to buy it, but "subscribe" it for a monthly fee.
    (pretty much like TableScanner2 or Tableninja2).

I always felt that the competition was preventing them from being
    too greedy. But thats just my 2 cent ...

3. Aarnimetsa

Aarnimetsa Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Poker Coach

I'm afraid of pretty much the same happening with Chipbleeder. HEM guys already changed Tableninja to monthly subscription and as there is no other good tracking software, the guys now have a monopoly on the market which is never good for the customers. I'd think either the price goes way up or they will just stop innovating and start stagnating with both of the softwares, trying to save on development costs.

4. Chipbleeder

Chipbleeder Member

:o
    Its a little frightening how little feedback there is.
    I´m not sure whether this is due to the fact that only a handful players here
    use trackingsoftware or they arent aware what this actually means ...

5. Aarnimetsa

Staff Member Poker Coach

I think for most players it doesn't really matter that much, because right now it doesn't change anything and future is hard to predict.

I can't see much discussion on the poker software forums either:

https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/vie ... 58&t=55233

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/general ... ost2372552

I'd think that people will care in the future when something bad happens, but until that the critical voices are pretty much silent all around. I'm unsure if the software forums themselves are moderated to remove the most critical thoughts, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. They are probably making a lot more money in the future, so it makes perfect sense in their side. Less development and customer support overhead and pretty much no competition to worry about.

6. Neo1186

Neo1186 Well-Known Member

:|

Well that really sucks. The only good thing that could come out of this would be if some good programmers decide to make a really good open-source alternative, maybe financed through donations or kickstarter, the linux equivalent to windows for the poker world if you like. But the news is pretty bad.

7. Aarnimetsa

Staff Member Poker Coach

There is an open source poker database already.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fpdb/

Last update has been about 9 months ago, so I'd think it's pretty likely that the software doesn't work with the newest and greatest.

8. Neo1186

Neo1186 Well-Known Member

I have to say this freepokerdb doesn't look bad at all. If the HEM/PT guys screw up this could be something that may gain some more attention and support. When I have some time on my hands I may try this out, thx for the link.

9. Aarnimetsa

Staff Member Poker Coach

I'd think the largest alternative commercial software is http://www.pokeroffice.com/ - it's not a startup though, they have been around since 2003. When I was in the Uni, 3 of my friends started developing a poker tracking software, but they gave up somewhere along the way because you couldn't challenge PokerTracker and you could get easier money by doing consulting work (that was before HEM got popular and did exactly the impossible).

It used to be a Mac only software and for a long time it was the only one available (now you can use PT4 on Mac, although not on Zoom). There were some interesting HUD stats, for example you could have on your HUD the sequence of actions that have got you there. It wasn't really customizable at all and there were a lot of stats missing (and no opportunity to do custom stats). Then there's only the problem that you couldn't mark hands, or at least I used something like 20-30 minutes with a student to just find out that can that software be used productively to learn about poker. I'd think that by not having an option to mark hands, it makes a tracking software pretty useless in developing you as a poker player.