1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Ghaleon SNG Tuesday October 17th at 20 CET -

SB optimal play

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by hayatekirino, Sep 28, 2017.

1. hayatekirino

hayatekirino New Member

Hello, i need some help.If someone knows videos about sb MTT 9max play against 3bet or against raise or against all please send some here.Thank you.
    And if it is easy some stop and go nice video too

Tags:
  2. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

Well I dont know about videos but can give some ideas. Usually how we want to play from SB in focused on 3betting. Especially versus late position opens as those are usually with wide ranges. Few reasons for this are:

- Bit worse price compared to call from BB
    - Not closing action
    - Above creates situation where BB often get great price to call after our SB call and also has option to 3bet.
    - Bad position for postflop. E.g. when we call and BB call we are in so called sandwich position.
    - When we 3bet we also make SPR (stack to pot ratio) smaller postflop if villain calls. That makes position advantage bit smaller benefit. At least if stacks are not deep.
    - Obviously villain folding is often good ending.

Now I did say that 3betting is preferred option versus late position open. Versus early or mid position it becomes bit more questionable as range we face is stronger. So 3betting e.g. AJ versus CO or BU open can be standard but versus UTG open it would usually be pure bluff. Versus early position open I dont mind sometimes to just call e.g. AQ from SB as I dont want to isolate myself versus really tight range. Also set mining is lot better versus tighter range.

Now in situations where its open folded to you on SB. Its often bit nasty to continue wide versus 3bets because you are OOP and villain range for 3betting is often tightish. So if you expect lot of aggression from opponent you really want to think your approach. One option is to limp. If villain then raises you have option to make lot easier call than versus 3bet. Some people use lot of SB open limp which is effective tactic overall versus ok or good opponents. But what average player tends to do imo is to fold too much versus raises as well. So personally I used mixed strategy where as default my limp range is bit vulnerable to wide raises. That is because on average people wont attack limps wide either. Versus better players range balancing becomes more important.

Now these topics are wide as hell. So we can talk about some more specific hands or situations. Keeping topics too wide can make it difficult to learn :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. hayatekirino

hayatekirino New Member

So,Thank you Ghaleon and because you have right(too wide topic) i will post in time hands played from sb to make it easier to analyse spots.
    Some inner first thoughts from me are 1)that as a player that play a lot of 45man and 180man in poker stars have to not try to steal regulars to often and to steal mostly the "unknowns".Not to call 3bets so often helps too.But is the real answer not to play sb too wide?I think i loose value if i play not if i don't play:D.2)i Open a little more not X2 but X3 and this i think helps me to.3)i don't flat calling as i used too and i think that helps not to give bb the odds to call and play against 3 OP.4)I don't donk bet post flop so often because i think every time some calls me if he flops big and fold if he has nothing.
    See ya soon with hands :tup: