1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Kyyberi PLO Wednesday 20.6. at 20 CET -

turning top pair into bluff.......deep stacks $44 mtt

Discussion in 'Hand analysis' started by reepo, Jun 6, 2018.

1. reepo

reepo Active Member

So this hand can be catagorized as spewy or advanced bluff i would guess, anyway i'll give my reasons for playing it the way i did and would like opinions if this is just taking it to far in low-mid stakes MTT.

Early in tournament, gets opened and i decide to put this hand into my 3bet bluff range, sometimes i'll flat aswell but i try to mix it up and from these positions thought was better as bluff. SB cold calls and original raiser folds.

SB range is pretty capped to pairs maybe 88+ and big suited broadways imo. With that i thought this hand wasn't really going to be a problem to play. Looked SB up on sharkscope and seemed to be a decent/good reg which was one of the reasons for my play.

Get decent flop and decide to bet 1/3rd pot, i think we can at least get 1 street of value on flop from worse pairs with this sizing and i would bet alot of my bluffs here aswell and i think it makes it easier to play turns and rivers.

Turn is pretty much a brick and villian leads which i thought was a bit odd, sizing wasn't huge so i peel although im not sure what kind of bluffs villian would donk out on turn if any, I think it could be a fold right here honestly....

River is a great card for my range and BD flush gets there. Villian snap checked river and i honestly thought he had AQ as it was the only hand that made sense given how it played out. Since i blocked the nut flush I decided to turn this into a bluff thinking decent reg can not call 1 pair hands as i think i have more value combo's in my range than he does. I 3bet alot of suited Ax from these positions aswell, so i can have A2s,A6s,A7s AA and all AK combos in my range.

He used his whole timebank before cry calling so i guess it was a decent bluff.... Although AJo with the A of clubs is the only hand i can think of that i would bluff here and i don't think villian can know enough about my game to assume i would bluff this hand.

What do you think of villians call here? Its one i think he's losing with a ton of the time.

Poker Stars, $40 Buy-in (35/70 blinds, 11 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players
    Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 5,090 (72.7 bb)
    BB: 4,989 (71.3 bb)
    UTG+1: 4,989 (71.3 bb)
    UTG+2: 5,000 (71.4 bb)
    MP1: 4,989 (71.3 bb)
    MP2: 4,989 (71.3 bb)
    Hero (MP3): 5,000 (71.4 bb)
    CO: 5,000 (71.4 bb)
    BTN: 4,954 (70.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[​IMG] A[​IMG]
    2 folds, MP1 raises to 175, MP2 folds, Hero raises to 560, 2 folds, SB calls 525, 2 folds

Flop: (1,464) 6[​IMG] A[​IMG] 2[​IMG] (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets 525, SB calls 525

Turn: (2,514) 7[​IMG] (2 players)
    SB bets 930, Hero calls 930

River: (4,374) K[​IMG] (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets 2,974 and is all-in, SB calls 2,974

Results: 10,322 pot
    Final Board: 6[​IMG] A[​IMG] 2[​IMG] 7[​IMG] K[​IMG]
    SB showed Q[​IMG] A[​IMG] and won 10,322 (5,322 net)
    Hero showed J[​IMG] A[​IMG] and lost (-5,000 net)

Tags:
  2. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

Seems fine overall to me. Not sure about turn either as its really weird that reggy player donk bets there. He should never have set or two pairs and your range is totally uncapped. You can have some of two pairs with Axs or 76s and of course all AK or AA.

In my opinion especially from SB its pretty tricky to have cold calling range versus 3bets. I think lot of reggy players either 4bet or fold in these spots and I could do both of those with AQs. Though 4bet-folding starts to be bit nasty probably with these 70bb stacks. One of problems with having flatting range is that its tricky to balance. Like do you want to start flatting big pockets and give open raiser awesome pot odds to come along.

I really dont understand why villain is donk betting turn. AQ is basically bluff catcher and his river call is bad imo.

• Agree Agree x 1