1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Next coaching sessions on Twitch: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Where to start for SNG

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by hungrycat, Jan 28, 2019.

1. hungrycat

hungrycat Member

Hello members,

It is a long time ago that I have been here and now looking for some advise to restart my poker hobby again.
    I am looking for good beatable games at the format 18 mans and 45 mans SNG to start with.
    I will not play longer than 3 hours a day,and maybe cut one hour for study so all included 3 hours.
    This week I read some articles about the lost traffic on the different poker sites and the worsening rakeback deals on Pokerstars,that will influence my return tot that site also.
    I love their software and there is still going on games I like to play but will it be worth to get involved again on PS?
    At what stakes do you prefer the switch to an other site?
    I plan to do the following:
    play a 500 games at the micro stakes 1,80$ and evaluate at 250 games ROI and ITM are good enough to be solid.
    Using HM2 and SNGWiz2 or 3
    making with exel a bankroll management close to the kelly criterion.
    study the books:
    the math of holdem
    sit and go strategy
    secrets of professional tournament poker
    the raisers edge
    harington on holdem volume 1,2,3
    I have a ton more so any suggestion what else will be useful,let me know!

Tags:
  2. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

I believe those mttsngs are mainly available in stars? You could look for small field mtt on other sites though. I think some less than 200 players ones are widely available. Games are likely somewhat softer on those other sites even if it will take some time to look for games and plan some sort of schedule. But if looking for just one site to play then stars is probably only reasonable one.

But I would imagine those micro stakes to be soft in stars also. General level of play has likely dropped somewhat with less rakeback but doesnt necessarily affect much on those games.

3. hungrycat

hungrycat Member

Thanks for the reply,I will start next month with PS.
    have to look around on oter sites to,what is your opinion about the bounty hunter SNG is it a good format to play?
    Have seen a lot going on at the Twitch streams and wondered if they are a good investment ?
    Maybe you have the answer before I start to crunch those numbers in exel to see how fast /big bublefactor weight is.
    One more question,is the series from Drag The Bar made by Greg Jones AKA Zerosum79 about SNG a good thing to rely on in today's games?
    And what literature do you suggest to read besides playing poker?

4. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Well-Known Member
    Poker Coach

I have not played those KO sng and not much KO mtt either. So probably you can find better info on them from other sources. I dont know about Drag the bar either and I have not read poker literature basically at all. Only exception is mental game of poker but that is less about actual poker. Personally I have studied mostly by talking about poker on forums, analyzing hands and so on.

5. TheChampion

TheChampion Member

I played 3000 9man regular and turbo SNGs on stars few years back in 2014, 1.5$ and 3.5$ buyin. I was breakeven for the first 2000 then made like 200 BI in the next 1000 and I didn't really know what I was doing besides being tight early on and knowing to be aggro later on. So what I'm saying is that 500 sample isn't enought to know anything, secondly it doesn't matter where you play as long as trafic is ok when you're playing micros, thirdly you don't need to be a genious t beat micros, just above average so don't overwhelm yourself with study, playing is more important, sure study, but don't get sucked into it too much. And don't worry about other things where to play based on how soft it is and rakeback and all that, that is important later. Just build solid foundation and play a lot to get a sample and playing habits other things aren't essential. The only study material I had was a few video series from Deuces cracked from 2008 and it was enough to beat the micros.

oh and if I could tell my old self some strategy tips it would be: it's good that you are tight preflop early on but you need to be tight postflop as well, don't stackoff so light early on, if you have a good hand pre doesn't mean it's good postflop.. also it's good that you're aggro around bubble and have good feel for push/fold game but study hu play as that will improve your roi immensly ... my roi after those 3k tournaments was 7%